Morning light filtering through the Gilpin’s Falls Covered Bridge, in Cecil County, Maryland, creates an brilliantly colorful illumination of the bridge’s Burr arch through truss wooden construction. The bridge was erected in the autumn and winter of 1860-1861 by bridgewright Joseph George Johnson to span North East Creek upstream of Samuel Gilpin’s mills and dam. It was restored in 1959 by the Maryland State Roads Commission and the Historical Society of Cecil County; and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
© Wayne V. Hall. All rights reserved.
EarlyAmericanSuperStructureGilpins Falls Covered BridgeCecil CountyMarylandNorth East CreekGilpin Fallscovered bridgebridgefallslightmorningbrilliantspanwatercolorfulilluminationNational Register of Historic PlacesWayneWayne HallWayne V. HallWALL PhotographyWALL Photography DesignWALL Photography and DesignWALL Photo GrafxWALLPhotoGrafxgraphicsgraphicdesigngraphic design